A few days ago I experienced the scariest moment of being a parent (so far).
D was ‘helping’ me reinstall some speaker wire connectors and a phone jack. I turned to my right and leaned over to screw in the last screw that holds the speaker wire wall plate on. I finish and turn back to grab the last screw for the phone jack wall plate. Only it’s not there. I look around for a second then look up at D who is smiling at me and between her little lips is a tiny shiny something. I tell her to stop and to spit it out but instead she starts to make a swallowing motion, i envision the tiny screw lodged sidewas in her throat and daddy mode kicks in. I can’t tell you exactly what happened because I honestly don’t know, but I can tell you it ends with my finger buried halfway down her throat holding her, face down, half choking about to puke.
I got it. A few terrified tears and a long hug later and everything was A-OK.